Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Public Works

​​​​​ street dept pic1.jpg                                                                                         The Public Works Department is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the city's infrastructure. Services include but are not limited to: storm drain maintenance; street and sidewalk maintenance; emergency response for snow and ice, flood, severe weather mitigation; maintenance of city facilities; mowing; code enforcement abatement; sanitation; and oversight of city projects. 

The Department sponsors and supports several programs and services to city property owners and residents. The annual "Spring Clean Up" , "Paint Pick-Up" , and "Leaf Pick-Up" are three programs which greatly benefit the citizens of the city.  


​Street Light Outage Report (last reported July 2022)

The following street lights have been identified and reported to KU for maintenance (marked with YELLOW tags).

​North Maysville Road IVO Clay Street - light malfunction

North Maysville Road IVO Sterling Meadows

​North Maysville Road corner of Young Lane and Vance Drive

112 North Sycamore Street

North Wilson Alley IVO State Farm Agency

Bridgett Drive IVO Kasandra Way

315 Hamlett East (globe missing)

Corner of Bypass and Grassy Lick Road

Corner of Bypass and Commonwealth Drive

​Report all street light outages to Public Works at (859) 498- 8744 between 8am-4pm, or submit a notification online below.

City Repaving Schedule 2019-2022​

The Mayor and City Council are commited to making significant invenstments in our infrastrucutre. You can review the street repaving schedule here: City Repaving Schedule.pdf

Frequently asked Questions

Who takes care of curbs in the city? Curbs are considered part of the street and a portion of the right-of-way. The city is responsible for curb maintenance on city streets only.  

Who takes care of the sidewalks in the city? The property owner has responsibility to maintain a safe sidewalk adjacent to their property. The sidewalk is to remain at the established grade, be in good working order and be free of ice, snow, earth, obstructions, etc. Property owners are responsible for any sidewalk repairs. 

What is a Right-of-Way? Right-of-Way is the city-owned strip of land from the edge of the street back several feet. Its purpose is to allow the city to build and maintain the street, curb and gutter, storm sewers and possibly underground utilities. This land is the responsibility of the landowner but the city has the right to determine what takes place there. A right-of-way may include curbs, sidewalks and utilities. 

Who is responsible for sight obstructions? Landscaping is the responsibility of the property owner. Landowners need to ensure that trees, bushes and other landscaping do not interfere with a driver's safe view of the streets. 

What is a utility easement? Utility easements are areas where a utility has permission to enter a property to mark or maintain utility lines. A utility easement may or may not be in the right-of-way. 

Who helps keep our city clean? To prevent accidents or further accumulation, Public Works does pick up trash dumped illegally on right-of-ways, clears tree limbs blocking the road and removes signs illegally posted in right-of-ways, but it is every resident's responsibility to help keep our city tidy and presentable. If you catch someone dumping illegally, please call City Hall immediately.

I Wish To Put a Dumpster In Front of My Property

dumpster ordinance.pdf

Report A Problem




Nathan Boston, Director
Public Works
110 Willow Street
Mt. Sterling, KY 40353
(859) 498-8744