Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Building Inspector

Building Inspector, Robert Bliss

bob bliss web photo 1.jpgI was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. About 30 years ago I moved to the city of Farmington Hills, a suburb of Detroit, where I last worked. I was first a Housing Rehabilitation Specialist then as a Building Inspector/Plans Examiner and lastly promoted to Building Official where I ran the Building Department until I retired in 2017. 

I have been married to my wife Becky for 23 years and we have a spoiled dog named Charlie. I have 2 daughters, 5 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. After Becky and I both retired, we moved to Mount Sterling, Kentucky in 2018 to be closer to Becky’s parents that live in Lexington. We enjoy living in this community and appreciate the friendliness of the people here. In February 2019, I was fortunate enough to be hired as a Building Inspector for the City of Mount Sterling. 

I feel very privileged to work with a great group of people and I am excited to hopefully make a difference in the future of this community. For a small town Becky and I are impressed at the many activities there are here for children and adults alike and look forward to attending more of these events in the future.

When is a BUILDING PERMIT required?

It might be easier to ask when a permit is not needed. Below is a list of work that is exempt from obtaining a building permit.

Permits shall not be required for the following: 

1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage shed, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.

2. Fences not over 7 feet high.

3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the grade at the bottom of the wall to the top of the wall.

4. Water storage tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

5. Sidewalks and driveways.

6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

7. Swings and other playground equipment.

8. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

9. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door with a ramp or stairway.

Most projects that involve siding, windows, and roofs require a permit. Building permits are a low cost insurance that the project you are performing is being done correctly and up to the minimum building codes. Building permits are also required by the city ordinance and by state law.  Some items, even though permits are not required, are still subject to zoning regulations as far as setbacks from property lines. It is easier to ask first then to have to move or remove your project.

Please feel free to call if you have and questions or would like to discuss your project before you start.    

To Download A Building Application Or Sign Permit

Building Permit Application.pdf

Sign Permit Application.pdf

Download the City's Current Subdivision and Zoning Regs

Mt. Sterling Zoning Regs.pdf

​Hours Of Service:

Monday - Thursday

8AM to 2PM

Off On Fridays

For Any Questions Call 859-498-8725 or email:

click here for ZONING MAP of city

Next Planning & Zoning Meeting

SECOND MONDAY of every month @ City Hall Council Chambers 6:30 pm

Next Board Of Adjustment Meeting

SECOND WEDNESDAY of every month @ City Hall Council Chambers 2:00 pm