Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
Code Enforcement pic

Code Enforcement

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Code Enforcement Officer & ABC Administrator- Steven Tuttle

MAYOR PHOTO 2 by 2 web.jpgSteven Tuttle has served as Mt. Sterling's code enforcement officer since 2013.  He is a life long resident of Mt. Sterling and Montgomery Co.  He had previously served as a City Council Member from 2004 to 2013 and a Real Estate Broker before taking on the duties as the City's Code Enforcement Officer and ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) Administrator.

Info On Common Code Violations

The City has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code. Here are some common violations of the IPMC that the City wishes to make property owners aware of. The City will notify any property owner of a violation and provide ample opportunity for the property owner to address or correct the problem. 

High Grass-  302.4, all premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 12 inches. This also includes embankments and fence rows. All noxious weeks shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs provided; however, this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.

Rubbish On Property- 

307.1,  All exterior property and premises, and the interior of every structure, shall be free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage.

307.2   Every occupant of a structure shall dispose of all rubbish in a clean and sanitary manner by placing such rubbish in approved containers.

Parking Violations- No parking in the front or side yard Ordinance 71.05  PARKING IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS: (B) It shall be unlawful for any person to park a vehicle within the front yard or side street side yard of any residential structure except upon an approved residential driveway. 

302.8   - No inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Exception: A vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including body work, provided that such work is preformed inside a structure, ( garage) or similarly enclosed area.

71.20 Impoundment of Vehicles. (A) Police Department shall have the right to remove any vehicle or to engage a wrecker to do so at the expense of the owner or operator under the following situations; (2) When any vehicle shall remain for 24 hours on any public way of the city. Car hasn't been moved within a 24 hour time frame.

71.05 (B) It shall be unlawful for any person to park a vehicle within the front yard or side street side yard of any residential structure except upon an approved residential driveway. C) It Shall be unlawful for a vehicle to park upon any sidewalk.

Blighted, Abandoned, or Dilapidated Properties-

110 Demolition, Article 110.1 General states that: The code official shall order the owner of any premises upon which is located any structure, which in the code official’s judgment is so old, dilapidated or has become so out of repair as to be dangerous, unsafe, insanitary or otherwise unfit for human habitation or occupancy, and such that it is unreasonable to repair the structure, to demolish and remove such structure; or if such structure is capable of being made safe by repairs, to repair and make safe and sanitary or to demolish and remove at the owner’s option; or where there has been a cessation of normal construction of any structure for a period of more than two years, to demolish and remove such structure.

​To Report a Nuisance within the City Limits of Mt. Sterling

Please Contact Steven Tuttle 859-498-8725 or email

Ordinance 7-2020 (Trash Regulations) can be viewed here: Ordinance 7-2020 (Trash Regulations).pdf

Ordinance 2022-03 (An Ordinance Defining Guidance and Restrictions for Ownership of Fowl within the City Limits) can be viewed here: Ordinance 2022-03 - An Ordinance Defining Guidance and Restrictions for Ownership of Fowl within the City Limits.pdf​​

Next Code Enforcement Meeting

Meets monthly on SECOND THURSDAY @ City Hall Council Chambers 4 pm

Blighted, Abandoned, Dilapidated Properties (BAD) list

The Mayor and City Council are committed to removing BAD properties from our community. You can track our progress here: ​​BAD HOUSES AS OF APRIL 2024.pdf​​​​

Frequently asked ABC questions:

1. Where can I find your ABC Ordinance? 

Answer: You can download it here: ALCOHOL BEVERAGE CONTROL ORDINANCE dated February 16, 2021.pdf

2. How do I apply for an alcohol license?

Answer: Goto the Ky ABC Website  

There is an online application you must first fill out.

3.  I have a state ABC license,  do I also have to obtain another ABC license from the City of Mount Sterling? 

Answer: Yes. A city ABC license does need to be held for all state ABC license holders.  Also all City licenses must be renewed by July 1st of each year and will expire the following  June 30th. You can find the cost for each license in our ABC Ordinance. Payment is made at Mount Sterling City Hall, 33 North Maysville Street.

4. I am a server do I have to complete an alcohol server training course? 

Answer: Yes. The City does require all servers to take an alcohol server training course every 4 years that they are employed.  This can now be completed online.  Click Here

5.  What days/hours of the week is alcohol permitted to be sold?  Is there alcohol sales on Election Day? Thanksgiving Day? Christmas Day? 

Answer:  Provided that the appropriate state and local alcohol licenses are held, then distilled spirits, wine, and malt beverages may be sold by the package or by the drink on MONDAY-SATURDAY from 7AM-MIDNIGHT and on SUNDAY from 1PM-MIDNIGHT. There are no restrictions for Election Day or any holiday. 

6.  I own a restaurant or business outside the City limits of Mount Sterling, can I apply for an alcohol license or sell alcohol in my business? 

Answer:  No. Montgomery County is a DRY county. No Alcohol sales are permitted  in the County, including the cities of Camargo and Jeffersonville. Currently only the City of Mount Sterling is WET within the county.

7. What type of ABC License do I need to apply for?

Answer:  That depends on the type of business you own.  There are many licenses to choose from.  Please contact the State ABC and let them guide you through choosing the proper license for your business.  The Kentucky ABC number is 502-564-4850  or Go to the State ABC Website.

8. What is the ABC Entertainment Destination Center all about? 

Answer:  We've created an area for special community events and festivals which allows for open containers of alcoholic beverages. This ABC EDC was operational effective July 1, 2022. You can read all about it in Ordinance 2022-06. Ordinance 2022-06 - ABC Entertainment Destination Center Ordinance.pdf Appendix A to Ordinance 2022-06 - ABC Entertainment Destination Center Ordinance.pdf   ​ABC EDC Application.pdf

​For further info, please contact Steven Tuttle for any alcohol licensing questions @ (859) 498-8725.